October 9, 2011

Nobody Said It Was Easy

So, turns out that training while traveling for work isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Before I left last week, I had a spotless training track record. Hadn't missed a day or a mileage milestone. Naively, I thought it would be easy to keep up -- hotels have gyms, after all!

Two things I hadn't planned on: loooong meeting days and crowded hotel gym.

I was to walk 3 miles on both Tuesday and Thursday last week. I flew to New Jersey on Monday evening, the long flight in an itty-bitty Folger's can of of an airplane setting the stage for the rest of the week. Tuesday morning, I was to be at the conference room at 9am, so I headed to the hotel gym at 7am...and found that all 3 treadmills were already snagged.

Instead of finding somewhere else to walk, I got on the stationary bike for about 20 minutes, waiting. By the time one machine became free, I only had time for 1 mile before I had to go get ready for my meeting. *wrinkles nose in frustration*

Two 12-hour + days later, it's Thursday and the same thing happens. This time, I was too tired to wait, and considered completely blowing it off. But in the back of my mind, I knew that would be a mistake. And somehow "they" would know! So, I completed what turned out to be only a 9 hour day, and walked 3 miles (which ended up to be 16 laps) around the hotel's massive parking lot. I didn't know my way around Iselin, NJ, and was nervous about getting lost.

Yay me, right?

Well, hit the weekend and I'm beat. Tired. Done. Kapute. I got home Friday afternoon, ended up working late Friday night, spent Saturday 'catching up' with the fam and planned to walk our scheduled 6 miles today (Sunday), but...57 million errands and one munchkin meltdown later it's 8pm and no walk.

This is the first weekend training amount I've missed. I'm a bit frustrated with myself. I mean, I'm sure missing one isn't going to be the end of the world, but it's worrisome. I am worried about having enough 'oompf' to finish this thing. I need to get my rear back in gear.

This week is supposed to be 2 miles on Tues/2 miles on Thurs/4 miles on Sat, but I'm going to amp it up and do 4/4/4 (at least). It won't make up for the missing 6 miles, but it'll still be pushing myself a bit further. Saturday is our "re-commit" date where we say that no matter what, regardless of fundraising efforts, we will contribute $7,200 to CCFA. It's then that this is all very, very real.

I leave again on Sunday for 3 days, am home for 2, and leave again on Friday for  4 days. During that last 4 day stretch, we're supposed to walk 8 miles. I am going to have to reconfigure the training calendar and try to wedge that 8 mile walk in on Thursday before I leave. Oy.

October is going to be a tough, tough month for me to stay on track with the training schedule. I'm going to have to buckle down in November if I'm going to get through this.

-- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment