October 17, 2011

PAIN IN THE HEAD

 
Not only is this disease a pain in the butt, so to speak, but also it gets old with all of the other side effects you have to deal with as a result of what it does to your body and medications you are on. This year I have had an increase in migraine headaches as a result of the medications I have been on.  Usually, I have noticed that they tend to happen when trying to taper down off steroid doses that I am on. The steroids are very good about improving the inflammation in the intestine, but it's side effects just play havoc with the rest of the body.  I already have bone loss (osteopenia) due to long term steroid use and have frequent blood work to make sure that my liver and kidneys do not get damage.  The cosmetic effects of a "puffy" face (moon face) and acne on chest and back get annoying as well. So, to have migraines happening more frequently is frustrating. I had one last week and it knocked me out of commission for a couple of days and missed one of my trainings.  It is just another hurdle to overcome.  I can do it and am still excited and up for the challenge of the half marathon.  I still feel like it gives me an active way to combat this disease.  I want there to be new treatments and hopefully a CURE!

This past weekend was big, as Amanda and I signed our re-commitment papers for Team Challenge.  Through our generous family and friends, we have nearly raised $6,000 for the CCFA.  We still have until the 16th of November to meet our fundraising goal of $7,200.  We were able to get to Kansas City on Saturday morning and train with the team for the first time in a while.  Rowan spent the night at Grandma's house, so that we could get up and leave Lawrence at 6:00 AM to get to Kansas City by 7:00 AM for the training walk.  It was only a four mile walk this past weekend. However, this coming Saturday calls for a eight mile walk.  Here was the past weeks stats:

1.74 miles (26:54, 15:27 average minute/mile)
4.10 miles (1:11:12, 17:24 average minute/mile)

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment