September 24, 2011

WE DID IT!

Today Amanda and I completed our longest walk yet.  We finished 6 miles.  While 6 miles might not seem like a long distance to some of you, to us it is quite an accomplishment.  I am a little over 2 weeks post surgery and Amanda has never been much of an athlete and done long distances.  She always sells herself short, I had faith that she would have no problem with it.  It gives me a lot of motivation that she is doing this with me.  I really did not know how good this would be for me mentally, to be fighting actively against the Crohn's disease and have a goal that I am working towards.

The bulk of our teammates in Team Challenge live in the Kansas City area.  On each Saturday, those teammates that can meet up at a location in Kansas City at 7:00 am to train together.  Being a hour away and having Rowan to get covered, prevents us from making the bulk of the group trainings.  We are going to try to make some of the bigger training walks later in the season when we can make them.  Till then we hope all of our teammates are doing great.

Today we did our training walk in Lawrence out by the soccer fields at the South Lawrence Traffic way.
Getting ready to head out on our 6 mile walk.

These feet are made for walking.

Heading down the path.
View from Sanders Mound looking out towards Clinton Lake.

Headed back.


We were able to finish 6.06 miles in 1:50:03.  So, we averaged 18:10 per mile.  Our speed will eventually need to pick up some, but right now we are more concerned with the endurance portion of completing the mileage.  I am sore, but not as much as I thought I would.  I tried a new way to "wrap" the seton today and it worked quite well and did not rub as much.  Now for some rest.

Mark

3 comments:

  1. WOOT!!!! You guys are amazing!! Way to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't walk 6 miles unless I could just walk 6 straight miles and then live where I ended up at.Bravo you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 miles! Wow, you guys did real good. I'm with Terry, I'd be hamburger at the end of 6 miles. Good luck to both of you and keep your heads up!

    ReplyDelete