September 22, 2011

Random Observations

I don't know that I'll ever be the type of person who enjoys exercise. The effort of going through it has not yet been cancelled out by the results it produces. I still remind myself with each step that there's a reason behind all this--a reason I'm getting up at 7am to walk 2 miles (after going to bed at 2am due to work deadlines). A reason I'm ending a stressful, exhausting work day with a 2 mile jaunt on a treadmill.

Having never been really physically active in the past, I have no personal agenda for finish time on this 1/2 marathon. Basically, I just want to be able to finish it. We have to complete the route in 4 hours, so if I do the math, that means I have to walk a little over 3 miles each hour. My average so far as been 17 mins/mile. Mark -- even 2 weeks after surgery, and limping most of the day -- out-walks me in time.

The fact that he's 5 inches taller than me and I have to take two steps for every one of his might have something to do with it, but still. The man recently had surgery and out-walks me. *shakes head at self*

Today I finished 2 miles in 32 minutes, which is my best time per mile so far. I paused only once to take a pic of a group of wild turkeys. Group? It's a gaggle of geese, a murder of crows...what are multiple turkeys called? Well, it looked like a family of them anyway:


This sighting brought on some random observations of my current training process.

When I've done 2 miles on a treadmill, it's taken me about 40 minutes. Not only that? But there is pain. My shins ache, the outside edge of my feet hurt, and it takes awhile after I'm done walking for that pain to subside. Not that walking a path or a track at the nearby high school is pain-free. Just, I've discovered, not as painful.

So, I think I'm an outdoor, walking path/jogging track walker. Except when it's really hot. Or really cold. Or raining. *laughs*

Another observation is the difference in distractions from the process. I mean, let's face it, walking (especially around Lawrence) can be somewhat boring. Unless you run into a rafter (thank you, Google) of turkeys.

When alone, I've used my trusty iPod and playlist to encourage me. The music makes the walk; and it's not all aggressive music, either. My current playlist does include some AC/DC, Chemical Brothers, Flogging Molly, and Bon Jovi, but it also includes Adele, Alan Parsons Project (seriously, check out the beat in "Eye In the Sky"), the Cranberries, and Snow Patrol as well as some movie soundtracks.

Time alone, listening to music with nothing to do but think? How often does that happen? And I have the happy by-product of training for something that will ultimately benefit my husband.

Walking with others has it's own set of benefits--namely forgetting that your body hurts and how much time has passed--but also requires me to talk. Which I don't always have air for. More often than not, either Mark or I have Rowan in the jogging stroller on our solo walks. Once or twice I've had a friend with me.

I'm not sure which way I prefer; I think as long as I keep walking, I'm good.

This weekend we're to walk 6 miles. Aside from random excursions in my youth when climbing (small) mountains or going on long hikes seemed like a good idea, this will be the farthest I've purposely walked. I'd like to complete it in 1 hour and 45 mins, but I'll be happy with 2 hours. Mark and I are going to do it together (and possibly with Rowan); he's picked out a path that might even be an interesting exploration of our area. Training with the team is a bit of a challenge some days due to timing and distance.

Even though he'll be sore afterwards (he was very sore today after his 2 miles) I know Mark will finish 6 miles, so I'm starting now to psych myself up. I know, too, that he'll probably out-walk me, but I'll have my music. And I'll have my reason--right there with me this time.

Maybe before this is all over, my reason will include me.

-- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment