September 16, 2011

GETTING BACK INTO THE SWING OF THINGS


Last week I had surgery (fistulotomy with seton placement) due to the recurrent abscesses I had been having since the beginning of July.  This procedure basically creates a open path to the exterior so that new abscesses cannot form and allows "material" to drain without getting backed up inside.  The seton is a band about the thickness of telephone cord that is looped thru the abscess site and threaded in the fistula track behind the abscess and then out the rectum and then is "tied" off.  This loop prevents the fistula track from closing and forming an abscess.  The good news was that the fistula track did not go back all the way to my "J-Pouch".  Next year when I have medical insurance again and when the Crohn's disease has hopefully been in remission for awhile, I will be able to have a surgery to remove the fistula and take out the seton and have everything work normal again.

As you can see, my training for the half marathon has taken a back seat lately.  I took a full week off with no activity and started back gradual this week.  Not having a lot of pain, which is good, but getting use to the seton.  Moving forward my goal will be to find the best way to deal with the seton when I am active.  I walked 1.2 miles on Tuesday and 2.0 miles on Thursday and felt good.  This weekend I will attempt to do 5.0 miles since that is what our training schedule calls for.  I think if my body will cooperate and continue to get better, then I will be able to really start building up my stamina and the pace that I am doing my mileage in.  By December I would like to be able to walk a mile in 15 minutes.

1.21 miles (20:56, 17:18 average minutes/mile)
2.04 miles (35:28, 17:23 average minutes/mile)

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment